Portable pumps and permanent pumps used with switch racks (or diverter panels) can create hazards if proper procedures are not followed.
Brewers equipped with PPE should:
- Hook up hoses and fittings that are in good condition to pumps/switch racks.
- Hoses and fittings should be periodically inspected to ensure the condition is acceptable. Hoses and fitting should be installed properly so they won’t come apart when pumping takes place.
- All valves in the path of the liquid travel should be open before pumps are activated.
- Pumps should not be connected to a power source or turned on until all connections are made and values are opened. In the same way, pumps should be disconnected from a power source first before valves are closed and hoses are disconnected.
- When disconnecting hoses on pumps/switch racks, brewers should ensure the potential for the release of liquid under pressure is eliminated by turning the pump off, closing valves and slowly releasing any stored pressure.